Stop Hunger Now
On Saturday October 19th, the whole church and community gathered to package 50,000 Stop Hunger Now meals to be sent ’round the world to feed our brothers and sisters.
We were hoping for 200 volunteers from the church and community to help us pack 50,000 meals. In stead we ended up with 350 volunteers and packed 50,382 meals! It seems that’s just how God works. A huge thank you goes out to every meal-packer and to everyone who helped set-up, clean-up, or bought lunch for a neighbor. It was a wonderful day!
Like what you see? Join us as we continue to serve our community and our world.
All photos © 2013 St. Stephen's UMC. Not to be used without permission.
What is Stop Hunger Now?
Stop Hunger Now’s meal packaging program is a volunteer-based program that coordinates the streamlined packaging of highly nutritious dehydrated meals comprised of rice, soy, vegetables, flavoring and 21 essential vitamins and minerals. The meals are easily transported to crisis-burdened areas or supplied to school feeding programs around the world. The meals cost only $0.25 per meal to create.
World Hunger Facts:
- Approximately 823 million people do not have enough to eat, and 98 percent of them live in developing countries.
- More than 110 million starving children live in just 10 countries.
- Malnutrition is associated with more than half of all childhood deaths.
- More than 25,000 people die of hunger-related causes every day.
- More people die each year from hunger-related causes than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.
- Between 5 and 6 million children die each year from infections that would not have killed them had they been properly fed.
- There is enough food in the world to feed everyone 4.3 pounds of food every day.
- The world has produced enough food to feed itself since the 1960s.