Our last event was in October 2016. Please subscribe to our weekly e-mail to hear about future events.
St. Stephen’s will attack world hunger by packing and sending meals for hungry people with Stop Hunger Now. Last year, over 300 people, many of whom had never been to our church, together reached our goal of packing 50,000 meals for our 50th anniversary. This year we’re trying to do 53,000 for our 53rd year of ministry. Plan to come, and bring your family and friends to this fun and meaningful event. There will be a D.J. while we work, and food trucks available for lunch afterward. Plan on it! October 15, 10am-1pm.
Sign up to serve with us at Stop Hunger Now!
For more information on Stop Hunger Now and our past participation on this event, see below:
What is Stop Hunger Now?
Stop Hunger Now’s meal packaging program is a volunteer-based program that coordinates the streamlined packaging of highly nutritious dehydrated meals comprised of rice, soy, vegetables, flavoring and 21 essential vitamins and minerals. The meals are easily transported to crisis-burdened areas or supplied to school feeding programs around the world. The meals cost only $0.25 per meal to create.
World Hunger Facts:
- Approximately 795 million people in the world are chronically malnourished. That number is down 167 million over the past decade and 216 million less than in 1990-1992.Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2015
- One in every nine people on our planet go to bed hungry each night.FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2015
- Hunger kills more people each year than AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis combined.Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2015
- The vast majority of hungry people, 780 out of 795 million people,live in developing countries. Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2015
- In sub-Saharan Africa, one in every four people, or 23.2 percent of the population, are hungry.Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2014
- Price and income swings can significantly affect the poor and hungry. When prices rise, consumers often shift to cheaper, less-nutritious foods, heightening the risks of micronutrient deficiencies and other forms of malnutrition, which can have long-term adverse effects on people’s health, development and productivity.Source: FAO, The State of Food Insecurity in the World 2014
- Poor nutrition causes nearly half (45%) of deaths in children under five – 3.1 million children each year.Source: The Lancet, Series on Maternal and Child Nutrition, 2013
- Nearly 50 percent of people living in extreme poverty are 18 years old or younger.Source: UNICEF, Progress for Children, Beyond Averages: Learning from the MDGs, Number 11, 2015
- The poorest 20 percent of the world’s children are about twice as likely as the richest 20 percent to be stunted by poor nutrition and to die before their fifth birthday.Source: UNICEF, Progress for Children, Beyond Averages: Learning from the MDGs, Number 11, 2015
- 66 million primary school-age children attend classes hungry across the developing world, with 23 million in Africa alone.Source: WFP, Two Minutes to Learn About School Meals 2012
- The first 1,000 days of a child’s life, from pregnancy through age two, are critical. A proper diet in this period can protect children from the mental and physical stunting that can result from malnutrition.Source: UN Inter‑agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation, Levels & Trends in Child Mortality Report 2011
2013: Mission Accomplished!
On Saturday October 19th, 2013, the whole church and community gathered to package 50,000 Stop Hunger Now meals to be sent ’round the world to feed our brothers and sisters.
We were hoping for 200 volunteers from the church and community to help us pack 50,000 meals. In stead we ended up with 350 volunteers and packed 50,382 meals! It seems that’s just how God works. A huge thank you goes out to every meal-packer and to everyone who helped set-up, clean-up, or bought lunch for a neighbor. It was a wonderful day!
All photos © 2013 St. Stephen's UMC. Not to be used without permission.
Like what you see? Join us as we continue to serve our community and our world.
Sign up at right to help us pack 53,000 meals on October 15, 2016!!