St. Stephens’s UMC Survey in Response to General Conference 2019
In light of the recent General Conference vote, St. Stephen’s is conducting this survey to help begin a conversation within St. Stephen’s on human sexuality. It is only the first step in a larger process to give voice to our common values and our differences while uniting us in a community of faith and understanding.
This survey is NOT a vote. Instead, results will be used to frame and construct future congregational conversations on how we may best respond. Your voice matters. This is a chance to share your thoughts and ensure your voice is heard.
Members of St. Stephen’s, and persons who regularly attend worship at St. Stephen’s, may participate in this survey if they are of confirmation age (6th grade or older). Responses should be on an individual, not a family, basis. We will take every measure to ensure answers remain anonymous and confidential. You may turn in your response today or to the church office no later than Monday April 29, 2019. Alternatively, you may respond online at [weblink]. Please DO NOT do both.
1. I want to take this survey:
2. For this question, the traditional viewpoint means the view that the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching. The progressive viewpoint means the view that the practice of homosexuality is acceptable within Christian teaching.
Which of the following do you agree with most:
- On the topic of human sexuality, I hold a traditional viewpoint.
- On the topic of human sexuality, I hold a progressive viewpoint.
- I’m not sure where I stand on this topic.
3. Which of the following do you agree with most:
- I hope everyone in my church would share my opinion on human sexuality.
- I value my church having people with a range of opinions on human sexuality.
- I’m not sure with which of these I agree.
4. The recent General Conference decided:
(i) to maintain current language stating that the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching;
(ii) to maintain current rules against the ordination of LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning) Christians and the celebration of same-sex weddings by UMC clergy; and
(iii) to increase enforcement against clergy who break the rules.
Which of the following best captures your thoughts about this decision?
- I support the decision of the General Conference.
- I do not support the decision of the General Conference.
- I am unsure what I think about the decision of the General Conference.
5. How important to you is it that St. Stephen’s embrace your position on this particular issue?
- Very important
- Somewhat important
- Not important
6. Are you interested in attending a facilitated small group, to explore these topics further? (check all that apply)
- Yes. I could be available to meet weekday evenings.
- Yes. I could be available to meet weekday mornings.
- Yes. I could be available to meet weekday afternoons.
- Yes. I could be available to meet weekends.
- I am not interested in attending a small group meeting.
7. How would you like to see St. Stephen’s move
8. I am a… (choose one):
- Current member of St. Stephen’s
- Regular Attendee
- Other __________________________
9. What is your age?
10. Please provide any additional comments you have:
Thank you for your participation. For additional information, please go to www.ststephensfairfax.org/gc2019/. If you have additional concerns please contact the pastors or Gary Klinger, Chair of the Church and Society Committee.