St. Stephen’s is currently in a discernment process about even better ways to coordinate and support the older adults within our community. This process is being headed up by Judy Graves and the pastoral staff. If you are interested in getting involved in this area of ministry, please email Karen Wells in our front office.
Here are some of the ways we currently serve and support Older Adults:
- Retired Men’s Lunch — This group meets monthly for lunch and conversation. Coordinated by Roger Hartman.
- Lunch with Friends — This group of mostly retired women meets monthly for lunch and a short program. Coordinated by Diane Yim.
- The Shepherd Center — St. Stephen’s UMC partners with The Shepherd’s Center of Fairfax-Burke to provide additional programming for older adults. This non-profit organization helps older adults continue to live independently in their own homes. A variety of support services and enrichment programs are provided by older adult volunteers who use the knowledge and skills acquired over their lifetimes to offer assistance to their peers. Robin Lanning is the representative at St. Stephen’s who coordinates this area of ministry.
- Retired Men’s Bible Study — This group meets monthly for an hour prior to the Retired Men’s Lunch for bible study.
- A variety of Sunday School classes and music ministries also provide opportunities for older adults.