Youth Director at St. Stephen’s UMC
Reports to: Pastoral Staff
Status: Part-Time (20 hours/week) FLSA: Non-Exempt
Pay Rate: $20-$24 /hr.
Job Summary: The Director of Youth Ministries works to fulfill St. Stephen’s UMC’s Youth Ministries’ mission of “Connecting youth to a loving environment that fosters a relationship with God and our neighbor.” As the overall Director for a comprehensive youth program for 7th-12th graders and their families, the Director of Youth Ministries works with the pastoral staff and a team of church volunteers to develop a vibrant ministry based on its core values: welcoming, service-oriented, God-led, and fun.
- Youth Group: Plan and implement weekly Sunday night youth group, which includes equipping a robust team of volunteer “Coaches.” Coaches are paired in groups of two to lead small groups and build relationships among the small group members. Youth group includes games, small group time, a worship experience, and (pre-COVID) a meal.
- Mid-Week Fellowship: Plan and implement mid-week opportunities for youth to connect. Presently, this includes a Monday afternoon time of fellowship at McDonalds and a twice monthly Tuesday afternoon time of thoughtful reflection at Peet’s Coffee.
- Mission Trips: Oversee the planning and implementation of summer mission trips for junior and senior high youth, which historically have been through Jeremiah Project and Appalachian Service Project, respectively. This may be accomplished by recruiting and supporting volunteer coordinators to take the lead planning roles.
- Retreats: Plan and implement 1-2 retreats annually, with assistance from volunteers and the Office Manager.
- Confirmation: Coordinate with the pastoral staff to organize and implement confirmation class for 6th-8th graders.
- Sunday School: Coordinate with volunteer Sunday School teachers, who select the curriculum, to ensure they are incorporated into the overall youth ministry.
- Communication: Communicate regularly with youth ministry volunteers and parents/guardians of youth.
- Relationship Building: Engage with youth and their families directly to help build relationships with both the Director of Youth Ministries and the larger church community.
- Safe Sanctuaries Policy: Ensure that the St. Stephens’ Safe Sanctuaries policy is carried out in all aspects of youth ministry.
- Budget: Prepare and manage the Youth Ministries Budget.
- Youth Ministry Council: Work closely with the council of lay volunteers focused on youth ministry. Youth Ministry Council members assume primary responsibility for organizing and implementing youth-focused special events, such as youth ministry kick-off and graduating senior celebrations.
- Church Leadership: Serve as a key member of the staff leadership team.
- An active Christian faith, with a passion for working with teenagers.
- Strong communication skills in working with volunteers and parents/guardians.
- An ability to provide a welcoming space for youth within the church.
- Background in program administration and event planning.
- Ability to coordinate a team of volunteer leaders.
- A basic knowledge of United Methodist theology and willingness to work within the United Methodist tradition.
- An ability to maintain confidentiality, along with an openness to seeking outside help when needed.
- An associate or college degree in a related field or equivalent education and experiences.
- Able to work with and supervise youth in activities that can require exertion.
- Able to speak in a public setting.
Interested? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.